Monday, October 1, 2012

Chestnut, pumpkin, beets, and rocoto...

Tried planting chestnut for the first time last year...
The strain we chose is called 'Porotan'...
Don't ask me why it is called such a name, but they are supposed to be easy to peel...
We could manage only one fruit... yes, only one, weighing a great 35 grams... ;=)
 
Actually, there were four fruits forming...
They eventually dropped off before they could fully mature...
Our butter scotch pumpkin did not do as well this year...
Yes, we could harvest only one fruit...
Compared to 6 fruits last season... 
Wonder why, really... 
Beets... just harvested a bunch of them, and was quite amused to see one of them taking on the shape of the bottle gourd...  
Rocoto peppers... yes, from seeds given to me by a former student from Peru...
Their color combination on the insides are really fascinating to observe...
I plan to ask my sweeto haato to preserve them in vinegar...

20 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful pictures! Intriguing:-)Is that the chestnut people eat or roast? I just logged on and noticed you posted and those chestnuts caught my eye--- I just had to read your post right away...you have amazing plants in your garden. I always learn something new--:-) robbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robbie! Yeap, those are the chestnuts for roasting and eating... am actually very happy with the tree... we might get another strain this winter to plant nearby the Porotan...

      Delete
  2. "Porotan" sounds funny.

    Its shape looks weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree that 'Porotan' is indeed a funny, rather odd name....

      Delete
  3. Beautiful pictures. I had no idea that chestnuts came with a fury outer layer. Shame you didn't get more pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz... actually not so 'furry' but rather more 'thorny' and 'prickly', so to say...

      Delete
  4. I guess the Porotan is going through, what the Malays would say "baru nak belajar berbuah" phase..you get some and you lose some. The next round would be 'fruitful' I'm sure. They look nice too. Reminds me of our rambutan ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Ash, indeed the tree is undergoing the learning phase of fruiting...

      Delete
  5. Congrats on that chestnut. Though only one this time but in time to come, you will have plenty more ;-D I see those peppers are precious as well hehe... Great job on the beets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words, Stephanie...

      Delete
  6. Wow! Chestnut harvest!
    The beets looks cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Malar... but only one chestnut, that is...

      Delete
  7. Your garden yields many wonderful vegetables, and such a fantastic harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am still trying to be a better farmer... :=)

      Delete
  8. Hi Lrong,

    I love the smell and taste of roasted chestnuts-fingers crossed next year you will enjoy a more bountiful crop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeap, indeed, chestnuts are hard to resist, especially when roasted...

      Delete
  9. Beautiful photographs, fantastic natural resources. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming by my blog... have a nice day!

      Delete
  10. Kurumi?
    Is Rocota pepper perenniel plant in your potager? I heard it can somehow tolerate a little bit of frost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana... kurumi is walnut... and kuri is chestnut... I am trying to experiment if the rocoto can withstand the winter... last season, I dug two plants up, potted them and put them indoors all winter... let's see what happens this season....

      Delete