Saturday, June 11, 2011

Nanking cherry, onions, geranium, loquats... for Theanne

I would like to dedicate this post to Theanne...
who at this moment, is feeling a little down...
thinking about the second year of her beloved husband's passing...
I hope this little post of the red, red cherries in Japan...
would bring over to her in Florida...
a little-little smile....
According to Wikipedia, the Nanking Cherry is also known as...
Korean cherry, Manchu cherry, Downy cherry,
Shanghai cherry, Ando cherry, Mountain cherry,
Chinese Bush cherry, Chinese Dwarf cherry, or Hansen's Bush Cherry....
Hmmm, so many names for just one fruit...
They are native to northern and western China (including Tibet),
Korea, Mongolia, and possibly northern India (Jammu and Kashmir, 
Anyway, it is quite a delicious fruit... tiny though but still, pretty...
A friend gave us 8 onions the other day...
They are big, round, fleshy...
Unlike the ones I grow... under-nourished, tiny, and skinny...
Yet, I'd like to think of my onions as being concentrated, power-packed, and full of flavor... 
I might have mentioned it before...
I just adore the flagrance of the rose geranium...
They are apparently indigenous to various parts of southern Africa,..
We sometimes use the leaves to add flavor to cookies...
This is the season for loquats... wooh hoo...
I love loquats...very much...
Their taste somewhat resemble that of the mango, I think...
We have three plants in our property...
Plus, there are lots of them growing wild in the hills...
The locals do not harvest them...
I do, and we make preserves out of them...
The Loquat is originally from southeastern China...
The fruit is high in vitamin A, dietary fiber, potassium, and manganese...
The seeds and young leaves of the plant are slightly poisonous...
We keep the seeds, dry them in the sun, and then make wine out of them...

27 comments:

  1. I have never eaten a fresh loquat before. Only seen them as a flavour. Your photos are always beautiful. And I am also jealous that you have so many types of cosmos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the colour of the first picture.

    So delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing the photos of loquats Mr Lrong. I have one tree at home,growing so slowly...cant wait to see their flowers and fruits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is just incredible, the life you are leading. The produce you gather are just the most lovely to see...bet they are lovelier to taste!
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  5. One... never eaten one yet? Oh, they taste really good... hopefully, the cosmos will self-sprout again this year...as always, thank you for your comments...

    rainfield61... yeap, the color nanking cherry is so red, so pleasingly natural...


    p3chandan... hope your loquat tree will grow big soon...

    Rosie... thank you for your comments... I am just leading a simple, rather spartan even, life... no luxuries so to say... the thief who sneaks into our house hoping to see goldbars will be disappointed...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Lrong! Beautiful captures of your harvest as always. Loquats grow here in Austin and the trees are often used as a small ornamental. I've never eaten one though...may have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cat... thank you... the loquat is a pretty tree with good looking leaves... they taste good too... try one if you can...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I've ever tasted loquats! I've probably seen them in Asian markets here in London, I must give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. matron... the fresh ones taste good... try it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why arent the loquat harvested by the locals?

    A blogger in Okinawa, whom I call Kak Lela blogged about a number of plants growing around the home that werent touched, picked or eaten by local people. Which is kind of a pity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you have made Theanne more cheerful today.I still can't get used to loquats...but cherry anytime...hehehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  12. lina... I have a story to that... shall do a post on it soon...

    Malay-Kadazan girl... I hope Theanne feels better soon... I consume even the loquat seeds :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My onions are small too. In fact they are very, very small. This is my first ever batch, though so hopefully I'll at the very least get to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bet your onions are 'power-packed' and 'full of flavor' too...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lrong, I haven't eaten those scarlet red cherries before. I love to have a bite of those loquats also hehe... And I love your geranium!! The colour is so pretty. Enjoy the good things you have around you and have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stephanie... the cherries are quite a novelty even for me... I haven't seen them being sold in the shops here... I am enjoying the loquats everyday now... and the geranium, umm, so nice the smell... good day to you too...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous6/15/2011

    Thank you Lrong for the Nanking Cherries, the onions, the geranium and loquats. You are very kind and I appreciate it! Of course my mouth is watering now so I'd better eat my morning meal! Thank you again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Theanne and Baron... hope you are feeling better now... enjoy your morning meal!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lrong that was a very cheerful post we have and love loquats also I would be very interested about how you make the wine from the seeds.The loquats bruise easily and thats one reason they dont ship them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. cathy@home... thank you very much for your comments... good to hear that you love loquats too... I am still picking them these days... yes, they bruise very easily... ok, I shall put up a mention on the post later on, about how we make wine out of it...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I never eaten loquat too! They look so juicy to me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You compose them well.... an assembly of veggies/fruits/flowers.... beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Malar...they are juicy and delicious too...

    Bangchik and Kakdah... thank you for your kind words...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think you will be proud of your onions if you put them next to mine. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bom...hahahaa... you mean there are worse farmers than me?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really? your geranium has nice smell? wow!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stephanie... no kidding... the rose geranium really emits a smell that is undoubtedly 'rosy'...

    ReplyDelete